The Monticello Dairy was located on Grady Avenue just off Preston Avenue. Designed by architect Elmer Burruss around 1937, the dairy served Charlottesville with milk, ice cream, butter, and other dairy products for several decades. At the time of this photo, taken by Ralph Holsinger (late 1930s or 40s), Monticello Dairy had the easy-to-remember, three-digit phone number, 888. Holsinger took the photo from across Grady Avenue in front of the Triangle Service Station
The building has had a few changes over the years but is still recognizable today with many of the original architectural elements intact. It has also had a variety of tenants since the dairy closed, including most recently, Three Notch’d Brewing Company with it’s popular tasting room. McGrady’s Irish Pub, seen in this photo taken in recent years, is in a section of the building that was added to the east (left) side of the original building.
Holsinger photo courtesy Special Collections, UVA Library. 2010 photo by Steve Trumbull. Interior photo of bottling production © Edwin S. Roseberry.