Ellie Wood Page’s mother ran a boarding house on the Corner at UVA. Some of the students boarding there tacked up a sign on the street corner affectionately naming the street Ellie Wood Avenue. The name stuck and today is a busy side street off University Avenue, home of long-time Corner businesses like Eljo’s, The Biltmore, and Ragged Mountain Running Shop.
Lambeth Field was just below University Way and was the home field of UVA’s football team. This photo, also by Holsinger, shows the Cavaliers in the autumn of 1913. The goal posts were right on the front edge of the end zone and helmets were optional gear back then.
Holsinger photos are courtesy Special Collections, UVA Library
All other images © Trumbull Photography