We concluded last night’s show with a montage of rare photos of some of the diners, drive-ins, and dives (with an affectionate nod to our favorite Food Network show for the title). We featured several locations from the 50s, 60s and 70s that brought back memories of younger days to many in the audience.
Thanks to everybody that came out to the show. We had a great crowd with lots of good questions and comments. The photos ranged from The Rotunda at UVA to lesser known subjects of our town’s history like Schenk’s Branch. The show was built largely on the photographs we have received from local citizens and businesses that have not been shown before. We are continually adding to the collection so more of this “hidden history” is sure to come. I enjoyed seeing many familiar faces in the crowd last night as well as some first-time folks joining in for an entertaining evening. Thanks to all!
With multiple images for each topic we were able to do mini-histories from around town, featuring a number of never-before-seen images. Below is the complete outline of the presentation. We are likely to run this show again at some point but we have great photos coming from many new sources and we are excited to show as many as possible in the months ahead. Stay tuned!
“Rare Photographs of C’ville” (part 1)
Park Street Houses
First Baptist Church (Second and Jefferson Streets)
1909 Fire on Main Street
View From Bank Building
1200 West Main Street
The Rotunda, UVA
Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives
The photographs spanned more than 100 years and came to us primarily from private citizens willing to share items from there own collections. We scan the print or negative to create a digital file and return the original to the owner. If you have any photographs that might be of historical interest, don’t hesitate to contact us:
Thanks again to everyone who contributed to last night’s show, making the evening both informative and entertaining. See you next time!
Both the images in this post are from the Roseberry Collection at CHIL, are copyrighted, and should not be reproduced. “The Pit” was located on Ivy Road where Dragon Lady is today. The second photo was taken in the early 1950s from the belfry of the First Baptist Church when it stood on Second and Jefferson Streets.