The next in our series of Holsinger images revisited after 100 years, this one might be a bit hard to fathom… This image was taken by Rufus Holsinger in May, 1913. It shows some pasture land which also served as a golf course at UVA. To the right, in the distance, is Lewis Mountain. To the left is what we know today as Observatory Hill.
The former golf links are now occupied by the Physics Building, the Curry School and McCormick Road Residence Area. This aerial shows the general location. Holsinger stood in the area on the right side of this image looking toward the group of evergreen trees (UVA Cemetery) on the left.
Holsinger Images courtesy of Special Collections, UVA Library. Other images by Steve Trumbull, Trumbull Photography. © CHIL 2013