This post was originally part of our Looking Back Series in the Daily Progress during the 250th Anniversary of Charlottesville in 2012. We will be reproducing and expanding on the Looking Back feature here on C’ville Images.
In 1936, Ford Motor company announced it was manufacturing its three millionth truck. Despite the Depression of the 1930s, Ford continued to be a successful car maker and Charlottesville Motors, the local dealership, had success as well. This photograph by Ralph Holsinger shows the staff of the dealership in front of their location in the 300 block of West Main across from Inge’s Store (now West Main Restaurant). Not long after this photo was taken they would move to a greatly expanded location just west of the bridge on West Main Street. Throughout much of the Twentieth Century, West Main Street, between the University and Midway (Ridge St.), was Charlottesville’s “Motor Mile” with auto dealerships and service stations concentrated in this part of the town. The building seen in this image has been used for many other things over the years including a bowling alley and cable TV company.
For more about Charlottesville Motors including some rare images, see our updated post at Charlottesville Then and Now.
Photograph taken by Ralph Holsinger, courtesy Special Collections, UVA Library